SailNet Community - View Single Post - westsail 32
Thread: westsail 32
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011

Oregonian is on a distinguished road
About the Westsail 32

About the W-32. I regret that I was not able to respond to sdwyer 9 years ago. This thread was just now brought to my attention. It is very regrettable that there is so much misinformation out there about some boats. Jeff H has been a huge source of that misinformation as have many others. This is an open forum and the people asking questions deserve honest answers. It is a violation of this forum's rules to push some other agenda as Jeff H has done.
Very simply put, the Westsail 32 sails just as well as any other boat that is of similar size and playing the same game in the same conditions. Some boats may be a little better at times but those same boats may be way worse at other times. For what the Westsail 32 was designed to do, it does it much better than most other boats.
Sailing performance is always mentioned as a negative aspect of the W-32 by some people. But not by the people who sail them. Although racing records are scant on this boat, there is enough data to easily see that it's performance is very satisfactory. The only reason to even mention racing in context to the Westsail is because in some of those races the boats are in the same conditions, equally prepared, and equally crewed. Boat for boat results clearly show where a Westsail can perform - light wind or heavy.
This forum has the potential to be a great source of information. It is important to keep the information accurate. I think a little more policing is in order here.
Thankyou, Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook