SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ablative bottom paint to VC-17
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Anyone go the other direction...vc-17 to Ablative? I need to strip the vc-17 off because we are going to saltwater. Unfortunately, I cannot find any threads with anyone stripping the stuff off. The boat is still in the water and haven't yet tried to see how hard this stuff will be to sand off.
Yes, I have. It is very easy to sand off, particularly with a season's wear. However, you must get it all off. Nothing will stick to it. Pettit used to say some of their paints were compatible, but they seem to have retracted that position.

I have been told that it will actually wipe off with some solvent. Can't recall which. However, I'm trying to imagine having solvent running down my arms all day.

Edit disclosure: I didn't do all the sanding, but was there for the test when we were deciding which way to go. Orbital sander took it off with no effort at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 10-04-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook