SailNet Community - View Single Post - small boat or big{bigger boat}?
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011

SanSimon is on a distinguished road
Ericson 27

I just purchased and sailed an Ericson 27 from Charleston to St. Simons Ga with my wife who had minimal sailing experience but HAS titanium fortitude. I grew up on LIS sailing out of CT and later the Pacific. I've handled lots of boats and for size, stability and comfort (no onboard shower - at least not now) the Ericson is a hands down winner. Our boat; SanSimeon, who we now dearly love after an incredible three day sail - performed without a flaw. For what you describe - I think a 27 is a good choice. A 22 is good for close shore sailing but would wear you down as the seas go up in height. Our E27 ran 120 NM's in 26 hours out on the open Atlantic with 3 ft. plus seas and 15 - 20 knot winds and never presented the slightest problem - comfortable and stable - the helm is very balanced - a self furling jib makes trimming quick and easy - our main is smaller which sets the boom higher great for getting around the cockpit in heavier seas - the stern set helm makes a comfortable and snug area from which to pilot - it was on the chilly side! And the settees gave mom a good nap here and there. Net net personally I think 27 would be better - sounds like you'll end up there anyway - lots of 27s or there abouts out there from lots of manufacturers - Ericson just happens to be a great well respected name - good luck - GET A SURVEY! DK
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook