SailNet Community - View Single Post - Would You?
Thread: Would You?
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
We are just east of Glen Cove NY, traveling West at about 6+ knots at night.

I had just taken the helm and was following the course the captain had set.
I'm primarily watching for traffic of course there is not much else to do as the autopilot was on.
I'm thinking I should check the GPS just to make sure. Just then I see G"21" and I'm thinking that sometimes they put the buoy's up because something bad is nearby.

I checked the GPS and immediately make a course correction to pass the buoy on my port. The captain said that he wasn't worried because those rock symbles were about rocks really deep. We draw 6 feet.
I was not so sure.
On the chart below, the red course line goes right through the symbol Rk. The way I read it when it says Rk with no depth it means it could be a problem.
I my defense my GPS shows even less information and only shows the danger area just above the line with no depth and the RK with no other info and the blue area below the line with no depth so I thought I had to dodge three things not just one. I notice that the GPS even on highest resolution leaves out some information that is on the chart
But maybe I'm just being too cautious.
What do you think?
David--

The snip-it of chart you show does not convey enough information. A larger look is more informative (below). All of LI Sound is to the north of that mark and largely clear of obstructions. Beyond that, however, is the fact that you apparently did not understand what you were looking at when reading the chart. Moreover, when I am traversing an area that is subject to "big-ship" traffic, and particularly at night, I will not sail in deep-water channels specifically to avoid any interaction with them. I would be very unhappy if a well intended but ill-informed crew made a unilateral decision to alter a laid in course. We have a rule "When in question or in doubt--Wake the Captain, Call him Out!"

It's simple--if you don't know, ask.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glen Cove.jpg (53.5 KB, 113 views)
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook