SailNet Community - View Single Post - Shroud tension
Thread: Shroud tension
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2006

SteppingonKittens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
You've broken an ear off the chainplate. You're going to have to replace the chainplates...and while you're at it, you should replace the ones on the otehr side and inspect the ones at the bow and stern for the forestay and backstay respectively. I would also recommend you check the masthead fittings for the stays and shrouds... it sounds like your boat has a bit of a corrosion problem.

BTW, welding one isn't always a good choice, as the welds tend to corrode faster than a new, machined chainplate would. The problem with the welds is that the carbon ties up the chromium in the stainless steel, and that prevents the stainless steel from passivating properly and it rusts fairly quickly.

BTW, I'd be wary of saying the cable and turnbuckle are fine until someone inspects them thouroughly.
My sweetie is a rigger and he says that in situations like this, the integrity of the entire rig is suspect. The mast/rigging is supposed to act as a system with each part dependent on its neighbors. If one part has failed it is likely that other parts will not be far behind.

Time to have someone who knows what they are doing take a look at the entire thing. A dismasting will spoil your entire day.

Hugs,

SoK

By the way, he also says that welding stainless can be a real problem unless done by a very capable person.

SoK

Last edited by SteppingonKittens; 08-29-2006 at 11:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook