SailNet Community - View Single Post - Would You?
Thread: Would You?
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=svHyLyte;782851]David--

The snip-it of chart you show does not convey enough information. A larger look is more informative (below). All of LI Sound is to the north of that mark and largely clear of obstructions. Beyond that, however, is the fact that you apparently did not understand what you were looking at when reading the chart. Moreover, when I am traversing an area that is subject to "big-ship" traffic, and particularly at night, I will not sail in deep-water channels specifically to avoid any interaction with them. I would be very unhappy if a well intended but ill-informed crew made a unilateral decision to alter a laid in course. We have a rule "When in question or in doubt--Wake the Captain, Call him Out!"

It's simple--if you don't know, ask.[/]

I agree completely. In this case however by the time I saw the mark there was time to react and that was all. I knew north was 99 percent safe and south was questionable.

There was almost 0 chance of my turning into traffic. Good thought though.

On a different trip at night sailing fast I blew by a dark buoy mid sound clearing by 15 feet. When I complained to the captain that he didn't warn me, I didn't have my own gps at the time, he claimed it was not on the chart.
20 min later he found it. It was hidden by a coffee stain.

The point is that if you are at the helm it is pretty much your fault if you hit something even if you have help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook