SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cooling water - to screen or not to screen?
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011
Maine Member

BELLATRIX1965 is on a distinguished road
Don't do it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
They're all true.

Now, would you rather use neverseize on the screws and clean that fitting out once or twice a season, or try to unravel plastic bags from your water pump?
Firstly, I believe the "anti foul" comment referred to not being able to coat the INSIDE of the suction strainer against marine growth - which IS a concern, not frozen fasteners.

About a year or so ago, there was quite a thread on the "gear and maintenance" board about this very issue. Some very wise sailors (Mainesail among them) pointed out that if you have a screen on the outside of the hull, you cannot take the hose off and run a clean-out rod through the fitting from inside to outside (yeah, you will get a little wet!). You presumably have a suction strainer before your raw water pump, so it has plenty of protection. If you pick up a big plastic bag or something similar on the outside of the hull, the external suction screen will get clogged just as much as a simple through-hull opening will. Only difference is: you CAN'T rod out the through-hull from the inside with a suction screen blocking the passage on the outside!

After reading that past thread and giving this some thought, I removed my suction strainer on the outside of the hull. No problems to this point (knock wood!). Anyway, DON'T DO IT!!

Last edited by BELLATRIX1965; 10-05-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: mis-spelled name
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook