SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dangerous Wakes Revisited
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
A little anecdote on the wake issue: About 30 years ago, when I was digging clams for a living, there were three or four of us working the harbor when this
J a$$ comes into the harbor in a huge 50+' yacht at full tilt, right next to one of my buddies. Bob held frantically onto his gear and rake, barely avoiding being tossed in the water. Well, the next thing, I look up and see that Bob is coming up alongside this inconsiderate idiot, methodically throwing chowder clams through all his windows. He went round both sides and wasted perhaps a dozen perfectly good chowder clams. Of course, the yachtie, now panicked, was right on the horn to the harbor police who came on over and told the guy he probably shouldn't have thrown that big wake and probably should return from whence he came and that he could file a complaint later. Sometimes there is justice. Never heard from him again. You can see how commercial fishermen usually have a poor view of yachties because these kinds of things happen all the time.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook