SailNet Community - View Single Post - Novice at sailing and first time buyer.
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011

xhevi is on a distinguished road
Novice at sailing and first time buyer.

hi all,
I will apologize in advance if there are similar threads in this forum but i did not have any luck finding them.

First i should say that i have no experience in sailing, but always been interested in sailing and this time it will happen.

While the sailing season is coming to an end (i live in northeast) i am considering to purchase a boat, hoping i will find a good deal on a relatively well kept boat.

Even thought i am doing a lot of research and will be using this forum extensively, i need some your help and opinions to narrow down my search.

Looking for a seaworthy boat and here is what i think i will be doing with it:

1) as a beginner, close to shore/bay cruising, but as i gain experience i might want to go a little further offshore.
2) spending a few weekends on it or even take 1-2 week vacation and travel along the northeast coast. (in the future)
3) the idea of being able to put it on a trailer and haul it south its also very appealing, (but rather get a comfortable sailing boat)

I am thinking something between 22' to 28" might be a good choice.

FIRST: I am trying to start narrowing it down by the type of keel that will fit my needs best.

full keel? (not trailer-able)
fin keel? (not trailer-able)
centerboard?
shoal draft?

What do you guys recommend?

SECOND: The most common boat builders i have come across are:
1) Pearson- have read good things about them
2) Catalina- also good reviews
3) Hunter- was told to pass on these
4) O'Day

What do you guys recommend?

THIRD: inboard or outboard engine?
Leaning more towards an inboard engine (i like the clean look), but, seems like outboard engine might be easier to maintain and replace if needed.
I have seen sail boat with engines anywhere between 4hp to 33hp? Now i would think the more the power the faster i can haul my a** to the marina in case of an emergency, right?

What would be a good size engine for these kinda boats?

I have already printed out a few threads from this forum that will help me pin point any issues when looking at a boat.

All the suggestion is really appreciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited by xhevi; 10-05-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook