SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cooling water - to screen or not to screen?
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
I actually thought that the idea of these things was to ensure that any rubbish that came past was more likely to be washed away in the slipstream than enter the cooling hose.. but perhaps you have to be doing +50kts for that to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
To add to what BELLATRIX posted, as long as the inlet hose leading to the strainer in the engine compartment is above the waterline you won't get wet.
'Tis.. just.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I will be removing my through hull strainer at next haulout.
I guess that's reason enough not to fit one then.

On the topic of rodding the hose out, how would I know there was something blocking the inlet? If I didn't get any water out the back end, my first thought would be to check the impeller - but that's after the strainer. Perhaps I should check the strainer first? Other than the cover being under serious vaccuum, how would I know to look elsewhere? Anyone had this actually happen??

I vaguely remember being told to take the hose off the strainer and blow - not try to shove something down the pipe..

Last edited by Classic30; 10-06-2011 at 03:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook