SailNet Community - View Single Post - I had a great sail today.
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
For whatever reasons these days, the transition between the seasons gets more and more abrupt. Fall arrived with a blast of cold air and moisture but that has finally moderated a little.

Yesterday was one of those perfect days, a convergence of perfect conditions- 75F degrees, pure sun and blue sky without a cloud in it, and a 10kt breeze from the west, which means no fetch, and no waves. Just pure sailing, without any water action to slow you down.

The Pearson 30 is simply a joy to sail. It has such a solid, confident feel to it. It moves much better in light air compared to my Coronado 25, which is saying something since it displaces almost twice as much. I had grabbed my 130% genoa, simply because it was handy, and in only an 8-10kt breeze, the boat kept moving well. My 170% drifter really would have had me flying.

The fall season here is some of the best that can be had- Dry, cool, sunny days with breezes that blow across the Chesapeake, instead of up or down the length of it, providing mostly flat water and extremely pleasant sailing. Cruising and overnighting give an awesome night sky that is insect-free. It's warm enough that a heavy blanket and the body head of a significant other will keep you plenty warm at night, and I have a small, propane, catalytic heater to chase away the morning chill, or I just cook breakfast.

It really doesn't get much better than this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook