SailNet Community - View Single Post - I had a great sail today.
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road
Here is my log entry from my first salt water trip as captain:

Sept 25, 2010

Kate (wife), Barbara (sis-in-law) and I arrived at the dock at about 10:15; Fred (brother) arrived about 10 minutes later. We were underway (heading out of York Harbor) before 11:00. It was very warm to start (over 80, I believe) and the seas were a little choppy; the wind was out of the southwest and light. Barbara was a little queasy at first, but once the wind picked up a bit the boat motion was better and she recovered. We sailed north past Nubble Light (about 4.5 miles) and tucked into the lee north of Cape Neddick just 20-30 yards off Short Sands. We dropped anchor there and had lunch (Chicken salad on baguette).

The wind was already strengthening before lunch and this continued. It had shifted and was now out of the west. We reeled in about 1/3 of the Genoa but left the main unreefed. Because of the stronger winds, we made much better time back to the harbor and when we got there, it wasn’t time to go in yet. We pulled in closer to land (and calmer water) so the girls could use the head.

Then we continued south for maybe 2 more miles. By the time we turned around at about 4:30 (maybe because we turned around) the wind was much milder and the final leg was very pleasant. The leg from Nubble to the harbor was fun, but the wind was really strong (15-18 kts?). I think the seas were about 2-4 with 6 foot rollers. Between the wind and the seas, I had trouble keeping the boat on course. I need practice. I was surprised (and thrilled) that Kate and Barbara showed no nervousness about the seas or the heeling and everyone had a great time. For an 18’ trailer boat, the Moment of Zen is very well mannered and dry.

We were back at the dock by 6:15 or 6:30. We did run out of beer; that was difficult to contend with.

One lesson learned: Rig for rough water before the rough water, or gravity will do it for you. (But I think I knew that!)

Best cruise ever!

(End of entry)

It was Barabara's introduction to sailing; she was hooked! She can't wait to go out again.

Ken

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook