SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
New boat to hit the water, the absolutely gorgeous Ionic 48 performance cruiser.

Some years back they have lunched a 39ft that have got the attention of the media and from all that like beautiful and fast cruisers, but I always felt that the interior was less then perfect even following the Zen concept.

I find this one a lot better, almost perfect, I mean technically speaking about design even if for me would not fit, I mean the Zen concept in Design.

This Belgium boat is designed by by Pierre Lallemand (interior and concept) in co-operation with Joubert-Nivelt (NA).

The boat is made using vacuum infusing techniques using epoxy resin – a mix of GRP, Airex foams and carbon and that, with that kind of Zen oriented design, permits an incredible weight for a 48ft boat: 11T

Nothing special you would say, well yes, if this boat had a "normal" Ballast Displacement ratio (about 30%), but that is not the case. This boat has a very unusual high B/D ratio: 50% and that will make it an incredible stiff boat, a boat full of power specially because the boat is not particularly narrow, with a beam of 4.26 m and above all because that ballast is deep on a bulb at end of a long keel (2.70m).

Considering this characteristics and with 131 sq m of sail, this boat should really go fast and be very seaworthy.

A racer would you say? No, it has a big fresh water tank (600L) and a smaller diesel one (200L) but I guess this one will not need to waste much fuel.

An incredible sailboat. I would love to try it

They say about it:

"The designers of the IONIC 48 have given priority to performance, manoeuvrability and functionality.

The Ionic48’s sleek hull shape, flush decks and discrete toe-rails lend her an elegance that set her apart from other yachts.

Flush deck hatches, running rigging discretely routed under the coach roof and retractable blocks and cleats all contribute to the sleek, uncluttered decks. Aesthetics and safety go hand in hand enabling crew to move about easily and in security.

Each Ionic48 is unique; custom built to the detailed specifications of her owner. Rediscover the pleasure of sailing without compromise onboard these exclusive yachts.

The IONIC 48 is designed for exceptional boat handling: She is light on the helm and easy to manoeuvre single handed."

Last edited by PCP; 10-06-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook