SailNet Community - View Single Post - Novice at sailing and first time buyer.
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
There are some trailerable full keel boats.... the NorSea 27 comes to mind. It also has a beam that will not be problematic on the highway. If you're looking for that salty cruiser look that's a place to start. Danica/Nordica models fit into that category too.

Small keel boats can be trailered with reaonable vehicles, but require special trailers and ideally a hoist for launching.. still, smallish boats may prove to be practical on the trailerable front if the trailer is provided, and you have a sufficiently steep ramp available. Centerboard/swing keel boats are that much easier, of course.

Catalina has an enviable record with their 22 and 25 foot models, plenty of manufacturer and owner group support too.

I suggest you avoid the temptation to get 'the best of both worlds' as claimed by the Macgregor powersailor series... JMO of course.....
Speaking as owner of a Nor'Sea 27 on a trailer, they are "portable" or "transportable" more than "trailerable." 8,000 lb boat, 2,000 to 2,500 pound trailer... I tow mine with a Dodge 2500 pickup with 5.9 liter turbo Cummins diesel and it still grunts from time to time. Nor'Sea delivers them (last I knew) with a Chevy 454.
Salty as h&ll, though, and roomy enough that some owners live aboard. Mine's been to Fiji but not since I bought her.
Some of them (at least 4) have circumnavigated. Not bad for a portable boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook