SailNet Community - View Single Post - I had a great sail today.
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011

Tbrad is on a distinguished road
Went to the lake Tuesday morning. Hadn't sailed my little Windrose in almost a year. Been sailing out of Oak Harbor, Washington on my Catalina. Took most of Monday to clean her up and get the gear sorted out. Got to the lake and the elderly lady in the entrance booth was surprised when I asked for a permit so that I could go sailing. "You want a permit now? We close in two weeks." I told her I had to have the permit iin order to be legal. She grimaced and said, "That'll be twenty dollars." I handed her the twenty and headed for the staging area. It was full of trucks and trailers. Some with boats and some without. Everyone trying to get their boat out of the water before the season ended and they drop the water level. Amazingly, everything went quite smoothly. I raised the mast and tuned the rigging. I was somewhat surprised at how easily I raised the mast. Each year I wonder is this the year I have to ask for help? An hour later I splashed the boat. The wind was almost nonexistant. I raised unfurled the jib and ghosted along getting reacquainted with Thistle Dew. I spent two warm October days at the lake. The nights were crisp and clear. Anchored off a point I drank a cup of really good hot chocolate and listened to a Barred Owl's beautiful call; "Who cooks for you?" A Northern Screech owl added his quavering call. Fish were jumping and every now and then a Blue Heron squawked in gutteral alarm over some perceived threat. The days were sunny and pleasant as I motored slowly along the lake shores. My son came down and we had lunch at a marina restaurant and sat and talked for a couple of hours. I told him that there was no wind so he didn't board the boat. Just spent awhile at the marina and left. I spent each day motoring slowly about. Sometimes drifting and sometimes anchored. I did a little reading and tended to some needed chores on the boat. Worked a couple of crossword puzzles. Finally returned to the dock. Trailered the boat and left. And as I left I wished that there had been a little wind. But then again; there really doesn't aways have to be in order to enjoy being aboard a sailboat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook