SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tartan 34C - 1968 vs 1977
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominny View Post
Thanks, CalebD. You don't think the ' 77 Atomic 4 will present many problems, even though it is saltwater-cooled?
Tom,
My 1967 A4 is raw water cooled as well.
With a 1977 engine you might consider adding a heat exchanger for fresh water cooling (FWC) which should help extend the life of your engine.
When we got our T 27' I knew next to nothing about this engine. Upon having our first over heating episode I looked for a mechanic but found none (guess I did not look very hard). I did find the Moyer Marine website though: Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians - Powered by vBulletin
and began my learning and understanding of these simple engines. I never intended to become a mechanic but doing all the work on it (so far) has saved us a boat load of dough and increased my confidence that I think I can fix any issues that might arise with it while afloat or at a dock, and if I can't figure out what to do the guys at the Moyer forum are a tremendous resource as is Don Moyer and Ken in the parts department.
If you don't mind being a 'hands on' (DIY) owner the Atomic 4 is a good choice.
Of course if you own a boat with a diesel engine it is also a good idea to learn about compression ignition engines as most 'mechanics' in our area charge about $80/hour for their time. That adds up pretty quickly if you do the math.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook