SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bristol 22
Thread: Bristol 22
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011

Camsail is on a distinguished road
I bought Bristol 22 almost 2 years ago here in the San Francisco bay area. She was in sound but cosmetically tired condition. The boat sails very well in the big tidal and wind conditions we have. I am a relative novice with just a few years sailing under my belt, but feel very secure sailing her in the slot between the Golden Gate and Berkeley where we have a reliable sea breeze consistently above 16 knots during the summer. The Bristol needs a moderate breeze to move along compared to the fin keel Santana 22's of similar size and weight which are more common here - with only 206 sq ft. of sail a big genoa is good standard equipment, but around here the 130% furling jib the previous owner put on my boat is just fine.

I have gone a bit crazy restoring her and at this point have all the lights, hardware bedding, port lights and minor defects corrected. Biggest lesson I've learned is about the port lights: if you want a dry boat inside, replace them. The thru-bolted design is very leak prone and the cabin liner makes it difficult to pinpoint the origin of the leak.

Other than that, this small Bristol is a remarkably sturdy, serviceable, and easy boat to sail.

Last edited by Camsail; 11-27-2011 at 02:48 PM. Reason: bad grammer and too much jargon
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook