SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pearson Advice - Newbie's First
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011

cdstammer is on a distinguished road
Hey, Jack. . . I was in the same situation as you are in. I want to do some offshore sailing but never have before. I was looking for a solid and reliable boat that I could live aboard and maybe do some cruising through the Bahamas and the Virgin Islands. I looked at a few Pearsons and a few Catalina's, O'Day's, Hunters, and Cal's. Like you, I narrowed my choice down to Pearson. I bought a Pearson 33 and love it. I have two double privacy cabins (two people have slept in each and if you watch your head in the aft cabin, they are indeed doubles), and a double settee. Seriously, the configuration is the best of any boat I've seen of its age and in its size with more than 6 feet clearance below. . . even better than the P34 and P38 (unless you NEED a stand alone shower). Bahamas? No problem. Virgins? Only if I took the thorny path and had some more experience. Way offshore? If the weather was right and I had a TON more experience, a good crew, and some additional safety equipment. For a single dude who hosts a couple guests on occasion I love the boat. I came to the realization that I wouldn't be sailing around the world until I had some more time and skill, so that being the case my Pearson 33 is a great foundation for gaining cruising experience. I am considering spending some time on it this winter, but it's gonna be c-c-c-c-cold.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook