SailNet Community - View Single Post - Uses for Chart plotters and chart plotting software
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011

KnottyGurl is on a distinguished road
I have the Garmin 441s and it really is a great navigation tool, I keep a chart opened to the area I am in for a quick reference of where I am heading and to get a bigger picture. My plotter is set to 800 ft so I have depth detail and what I feel is a good range from my position.
It also has a quick MOB button which if needed in snotty weather could be a great feature, though have never used it except in drills.
The anchor alarm works great and in night mode with screen off it draws little power but if we move alarm will wake me, which is a good feature too.
The laptop is used to plan out trips and points of interest along the way and what great is having a few routes to one place for contingencies of weather, sickness or friends, all I need do is bring up an pre done route switch it over to new destination and load plotter with new info, how simple is that. Obviously the MK1 eyeball is used throughout the route and tracks are then loaded in to laptop for re route updating to have a more accurate route plan at my disposal.
how many grease marks can your chat hold before you loose it.
honey holes, big fish I have trolled for get marked as well and the plotter will show me them as were moving along, great reminder if fish chowder should be added to the menu that night.
Also and lastly I single hand alot and it gives me (well maybe wrong) it gives me a good feeling to just look over zoom in or out to get a quick reference of my position which I can eyeball verify.
Having my exact position is not always imperative, but general position is nice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook