SailNet Community - View Single Post - In order to bareboat charter...
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011

Patient is on a distinguished road
With the Moorings, once you make an account on their website, there is a section to fill in a sailing "resume". You can do that now to get an idea of what they are looking for.

I skippered a 40' Bene with them 2 years ago when I was only 30. I was the youngest captain at the skipper's meeting thats for sure. Never the less, I submitted my resume online and also faxed all my US Sailing certifications along with my US Sailing member ID that they can look up in their database. After they verified my certs, I was never asked about sailing capability again.

Something funny regarding credentials. Back in the 80s when the Moorings first hit the scene, my dad who had sailed all his life was asked to take a sailing dingy out with a Moorings staff member to verify he knew what he was doing, along with a written test. We were bareboating as a family which wasnt as mainstream back then. I think that was their way of verifying bareboat applicants back then. Considering how easy it is to get through the gate nowadays, part of me wished they did that today as well. I ran into a lot of captains that had absolutely no idea what they were doing, to the point of endangering their crew and others.

Short version. You will be fine and better equipped than most that qualify.

PS: The most important advice I would give you would be to attend the skippers meeting, ask questions and absolutely make sure to listen and ask questions during your boat's walkthrough with staff.

Last edited by Patient; 10-08-2011 at 04:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook