SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Hi Erik,
My experience in what regards Pogo is virtually about what I have read or heard about it, but I have heard and read a lot. iThe problem with a fast 40ft or 42ft performance cruiser is not an exclusive of Pogo. they have advantages (big stability) but also some disadvantages.

I have read many times that handing solo a class40 is a thing for very good sailors, sailors that have normally passed first by the mini class racers and that we can consider exceptionally good sailors.

The Pogo 12.50 is a down tuned class 40, it has a bit more weight, less sail but also less stability. I think that handing alone a Pogo 12.50 is also a task for a good sailor. Of course I am not talking about coastal cruising where you can chose the weather but about ocean crossing oceans and sailing with heavy seas and strong winds.

The main problem has to do with sails and managing them and also with the low mass of the boat. You are right saying that the Pogo, because it is light would need less sail that many other performance cruisers but that is not always the case because Pogo carries more sail to be fast. It's upwind sail are 100 sqm and if we compare with the new Dheler 41, we will see that the Dehler has only 92sq m, while others like the Salona 41 have 112m2 (and the Salona is the one that carries more sail).

But you have to put that sail area in correspondence with the righting moment and the mass of the boat and while I believe that the righting moment is similar, the mass is not: the Pogo weights 5,6T while the Dehler weights 8.1T and the Salona weights 7.2T.

This would make the Pogo a much more "nervous" boat and a boat more difficult to handle, one with more fast movements on heavy seas or even reacting faster to a sudden gust of wind.

Another problem with a big main is that probably you will not be able to reach the point where the halyard meets the mainsail (to pull it up) without the help of some steps in the mast. Now imagine yourself alone mounting a storm sail upper on the mast with heavy seas.

But I think that you are going to use your boat on coastal cruising with your kids so these problems really don't concern you and as a boat for having fun, I don't doubt that is the best the market has to offer, in what regards cruising

Anyway I strongly advise you to have them mounting a really short third reef on the main and a removable stay sail (textile for not be noisy) with a small jib sail for it, preferably one that can be reefed and transformed in a storm sail, just in case

General dimensions
LOA 12.50m
Beam 4.50m
Draft 3.00m / 1.20m lifting
Displacement 5.6t
Keel 1.9t
Upwind sail area 100m2
Downwind sail area 210m2
Materials Glass - Polyester - PVC and SAN foam

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-08-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook