SailNet Community - View Single Post - How do you guys find ACCURATE wind conditions?
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011

Kiltmadoc is on a distinguished road
If you want some (slightly) inland ACCURATE and CURRENT weather conditions, I suggest going to aviationweather.gov

For where your are (Newport beach, CA), I would look up the METAR (left side bar) for KSNA (Santa Ana Airport...AKA John Wayne airport). If you want to read the results in english, click on the "translated" button. Once you figure out the shorthand, you can then look up KSNA on airnav.com and it will also show you all airports (and their current weather), within about 10-40 miles. You can then easily extrapolate what your coastal weather is.

Alternative is the following site, which shows ALL current airport conditions for the entire USA. You can zoom into sections of the country as needed. It allows you to hover over an airport and see the current winds (usually they read as something like this: 290@10 G15....translated, it means winds are coming from 290 at 10 knots, gusting to 15 knots)
CWSU National TAF METAR maps - NOAA NWS