SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKLYC View Post
Thanks for this thorough analysis Paulo, which I think is very correct.

... You’re right about the difficulty of reaching the mainsail top on larger boats, luckily this will not be the case on this one because the gooseneck is implanted very low on the mast (so low it does not even permit a classic downhaul to be fitted, see picture below).
And you very certainly are perfectly right about the need for a third, low reef, which is standard in the offer of the sail maker Incidences. ...
Eric,
Thanks for the too generous comments about my knowledge. I am still learning...

Yes I can see that you are right on both counts. I can see the third reef on that mainsail, a very rare thing in today's production boats as I can see that you are a lucky guy with that boom and gooseneck. I assume that is the normal boom position and that the boom is inclined to the bow.

Unfortunately that is not the case with most of the boats with 40ft and up, specially the fast ones that have mainsails with more than 90sqm. On the majority you can only reach the top of the mainsail using a step or two on the mast.

I don't understand why this mast is not more used by boat manufacturers on boats with 40ft and bigger:

Maybe it is more expensive. It looks expensive but look how easy is would be to handle the mainsail and eventually mounting a storm sail!

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook