SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 36 vs Hunter Vision 36
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I'm just curious why the Hunter isn't a good "sail boat"? I really love the cabin layout over the Catalina.
I think that most people feel that the Catalina has more of a sailboat feel and that Hunter targets the accommodations, interior and exterior. They both sell a LOT of boats, it comes down to what the buyer wants. The only pause for concern that I would have is the stay-less mast. It's certainly not a new concept but I like metal holding up my mast. One problem with any stay-less mast will be a performance loss due to flexing of the rig. It can be done with small boats, but with the exponentially (or nearly so) higher loads on a larger boat, the flex will change sail shape. Maybe a sailmaker can accommodate that, I'm not sure. Flexing is not inherently bad - many structures from bridges to buildings are designed to do so, but when attempting to maintain an airfoil, the situation is complicated.

I used to work boat shows for a Catalina dealer. It constantly amazed me that people would board a boat and immediately dive below to look around, forgetting that they spend most of their time on deck when underway. That may explain why Hunter seems to target the interior. Sell them on the interior when they first board and you sell the boat?