SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Bought a Boat !!

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Lake Superior Sailor 
#1 ·
On the "big side" for a Trailer sailer, but that's the plan for my 26' Alcort Paceship (swing keel)

Any one trailer launch a boat this size...?

I have a big enough truck (one ton dually 4x4) and plan on building a "drive on" bunk trailer for ramp launching...

Any tips on converting the keel stepped mast to Cabin stepped (with center post) for easier "parking lot" raising...?

#2 ·
Congrats on your purchase! I am in the process of finding my first boat as well. I wouldn't mess with the mast and how it is stepped. They are designed that way for a reason, the designer made that decision. Obviously others here could speak more to that. In my limited understanding of boat design I am not sure that you will be able to make that modification very easily, though, I could be wrong. Congrats again and get us some pics!

Where are you going to keep her?

#3 ·
Well, that's going to depend...I'll probably do most of my sailing out of Bayfield WI (Apostle Islands) and depending on whether I can do a deck step conversion and make this a practicle (if not large) Trailer Sailer or I need to commit to a slip/store at home.

I would also like to get to Copper Harbor (Superior) and Manitou/Washington Island area on Michigan...

I found the Tanzer 27 (7.5) is the offspring of the PY26 and it does have a deck stepped mast, so the conversion may not be out of the equation...

#4 ·
Also found with a 9'6" beam I'll need oversize load permit and signage, for road transport, not a big deal but something to consider.

#5 ·
you won't be taking that boat off and on the trailer every day you wanna sail. A boat that big is a lot of work to get all setup. you better off getting a mooring or slip. you will take upwords of 2 hours to setup. Just for and hour or two of sailing then 2 hours derig you would spend more time setting up and derigging then sailing. better off getting a slip or mooring. the trailer is meant just for winter storage.

#6 · (Edited)
I just found a neat system that fits my needs

The Mastendr Quick-Rig Sailing System from Com-Pac Yachts

I think with that mast system, launch time will be reduced considerably...(once it's tuned in)

I have a Venture Cat at home for "daysailing" the local lakes around here... This boat is set up for longer excursions, weekends, and multiday cruising...so a couple hours in the parking lot before launch is just part of the whole experiance...

Only plan on going out 4-5 times a season.. (but that might change as soon as boat hits water...;-) )

better off getting a slip or mooring.
Not at $180-$200/ft for the season...

#7 ·
I think Smallboatlover is on the mark really... except... if every time you sail, you spend 8+ hours on the water (or take several days on the water). This makes the setup time a smaller portion of your "Sail time." Still think of the time involved. Of course MONEY is always an object.

Good to have you here, and we'll help where we can.

#8 ·
Thing is, I live inland a bit, but about equal distance (less than 2 hrs) from Superior and Upper Michigan...bout 140 mile to Green Bay...160 to Oshkosh

I don't see leaving the boat in one place for the long term when there are other waters to explore and I'm not close enough to run out for just a 2 hr or 4 hr "sail" anywhere big enough for this boat, so the basic plan is to use the boat for a "weekend", going day sailing and maybe tieing on to the city dock for the night or mooring in the harbor or lee side of island...

Kind of an "on water camper" and I've seen some massive campers getting towed down the road, so a 26' boat, while bigger than most trailer sailers, isn't going to be the biggest thing I've had to haul around..

I know I'm pushing the upper boundries of "Trailer Sailing" but I'm OK with it's limited use vs comfort level when we do spend time on the boat. I live in the middle of a thousand lakes in northern Wisconsin, but most all of them are smaller shallow "fishing" lakes... a couple are deep enough, but none are big enough to justify this size boat, so I won't be doing much "daysailing" round here...

#10 ·
That's something to consider... might even be an option when I want to go out consecutive weekends..

I'll have to see how receptive the yards are to overnight and/or week long stays and what that would cost compared to hauling both ways...

#12 ·
Lots of yards will offer a 'dry slip' for boats on trailers; they have all that winter storage space for boats that are in the water during the summer; they are usually for power boats though, and there might be overhead lines between the ramp and storage. If you can get one, they are quite handy.

#13 ·
I'm liking this idea more and more...I could bypass the slip fees, and only have to haul it home if I want to work on it or move to different water...

Now just have to find a yard with sailboats that still have their mast up...

they have all that winter storage space for boats that are in the water during the summer;
I thought the yards looked empty when I was out this summer... I just blamed it on the recession...;-)

#14 ·
I have built a trailer for my cal 28 and move it with 1/2 ton chevy with out problems.I sail on Superior for the summer and bring the boat home for the winter, This works well for up-keep as it's easy to work at home. My vessel is also 9.5 ft wide, I have trailered it from Georgia with out permits or problems. get a lot of funny comments going through toll booths! To make boat load easy I have caged & padded the keel this way I know it's loaded right. I also need 7 ft. of water to load, this means a cable to pull trailer & a swimming suit!

#15 ·
Lake Superior Sailor... I'm from Eagle River Wi too...Do I know you...? (Dale ?)

We should have coffee sometime and we can swap stories...

#17 ·
Cool...I bought a fishing boat, motor and trailer from you a couple years ago and saw your boat in the yard... You had mentioned you got it from down south and had been working on for awhile and getting close to launching...Looked nice...

I remember saying to myself..."I gotta get me one of those..."

I'm heading out east to pick mine up this weekend...

Randy

#18 ·
Got it...

Drove out east, and got 'er loaded on the trailer...

Got it home with no problems or hassles on the road...

Now I need to get it off the cradle and on to it's own launchabe bunk trailer

Then freshen 'er up over the winter so I can haul it out and try the mast up "dry slip" routine this coming season...

Attachments

#20 ·
Drove out east, and got 'er loaded on the trailer...

Got it home with no problems or hassles on the road...

Now I need to get it off the cradle and on to it's own launchabe bunk trailer

Then freshen 'er up over the winter so I can haul it out and try the mast up "dry slip" routine this coming season...
Good job getting her home, please post pic about the building of the trl and also the mast conversion if you decide
to go that way thanks and Stay Warm this winter as you start the job of making "Her " your own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.