SailNet Community - View Single Post - In mast roller furling gets stuck
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmhead View Post
When I first started using in mast furling it was a struggle and a frustration. I flushed the bearings, lubed the tracks with Sailcote, prayed to God, gnashed my teeth and cursed. Finally figured out that I had to let the mainsheet and vang run free, keep tension on the outhaul or inhaul line depending upon deployment out of or furling into the mast. And, stay slightly off the wind, in my case a little over the starboard helps to smoothly unfurl the sail and keeps the sail filled as I roll it in. Very similar to what others have described.

Keep at it and you'll find your comfort zone. That, or you might take up another activity. Golf isn't a frustrating game...
Oh no not that ... please please not that ... not golf ...

mg ... I understand your method, similar to mine basically but do you do that when reefing ? Seems to me I should be able to take in a few turns without having to let loose the main.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook