SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Shroud tension

7K views 31 replies 6 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
I was out on the SF Bay this last weekend on my 34 Columbia MK 2 and snapped the stay out of the deck for my port side shrould line. I am replacing the stay but don't know or can't find any specs for the tension my wire shroulds should be set at. I have only owned the boat 2 months so still learning. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am picking up a tension guage from West Marine today.

#27 ·
Well I was going to remove the chain plates one at a time?And check them for corrosion then buy cable and new hardware with the proper crimping tool and cut and replace each cable the same length as the old one ,one at a time. I wasn't sure if I could remove all the shroud lines at the same time even being dockside if that was wise and being a Columbia my mast does not run through the cabin to the keel.

#28 ·
I wouldn't used crimped ends, as nicopress ends really aren't suitable for what you'll be doing. What you need to use, for ease of installation and longevity, are Stay-Loc connectors or something similar.

You should probably unstep the mast, and inspect everything and replace most of the hardware, which is probably shot, given that one piece has already broken. Leaving the mast up is risking having it go over—if some of the rigging is weak, and decides to give way when you loosen the adjoining rigging to inspect it.

I would also have someone inspect the fittings on the mast very, very carefully, as they'll probably need to be replaced as well.

#29 ·
ktucker8 said:
Well I was going to remove the chain plates one at a time?And check them for corrosion then buy cable and new hardware with the proper crimping tool and cut and replace each cable the same length as the old one ,one at a time. I wasn't sure if I could remove all the shroud lines at the same time even being dockside if that was wise and being a Columbia my mast does not run through the cabin to the keel.
My sweetie says: "pull the @#$%#$%ing spar and check EVERYTHING, dont try to do this on the cheap"

I believe him, he know what he's doing, having worked on rigging boats for over 30 years.

Hugs,

SoK

#30 ·
Well I spoke with Svendsens Marine in length- They said I can get away with pulling the two front chainplates in pairs, have them inspected-reinstall or replaced, then do the two aft ones same drill without fear of losing the mast. Then I will take the boat to them and have them inspect the rest of the rigging for a couple hundred bucks and see what else would need replacing. So that is my plan starting after this weekend. Thank you all for the help since this is my first sail boat I am getting an education!

#32 ·
Good luck... let us know how it goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.