SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing the PNW
Thread: Sailing the PNW
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011

speedbug78 is on a distinguished road
"Suggest you go out on the open ocean with an experienced skipper in his boat or on a fishing charter boat to find out if you and your wife like it before buying an ocean going boat and finding out later that either of you don't want to spend days on end on the open ocean, which at times can be like being inside an industrial sized cloths dryer."

My thoughts exactly, however finding a skipper who's willing in my area seems to be the hard part, which is why I'm talking to you guys first.

"Sailing up the coast from as far down as Newport would be a BIG DEAL!"

Yes, I expect so, please don't have any illusions that I plan to do so, I was merely asking what it was like from people who might have experience.

Why is it so difficult to express one's self succinctly in writing? CB32863's response: "A 35' sailboat is not going to have 280 sq ft of livable space inside..... They aren't a rectangle" really got me, I wasn't sure what to write back. I'm a 33 year old engineer who'd rather work with his hands than sit behind a desk, and the fact that (most) sailboats aren't rectangles seemed rather obvious. After reading other posts CB32863 has made he seems really nice, and was trying to help I'm sure, but it stung a bit.

I apologize if I've sounded like an idiot, who's going to go out and kill himself in a big boat. The only excuse I can give is that I get excited about sailing whether its the Oday Daysailer I used to own, or the canoe I converted to sail before that, or something else in the future.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook