SailNet Community - View Single Post - How Often and How Far...?
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Our marina is two hours away. It feels like a mini vacation each weekend. We made friends with our slip neighbors and we keep an eye on each others boats when one of us is away. We like the town and consider it another home.

We used to have a 22 footer that we kept there. I hate trailering so was OK paying for the slip. Now we keep our 30 footer in the same marina. The marina leaves a bottle of wine in the cabin each year when they launch our boat.

The marina is small and the staff knows our boat and its problems well. The mechanic who works on the engine has performed miracles. Originally I chose this particular marina because they didn't charge extra to keep my 22 footer in a 30 foot slip but since then we've come to appreciate the professionalism and knowledge of the staff, most of whom race and one who was a member of a couple America's Cup teams.

We also like that if we want to fix something ourselves, they are more than willing to tell us how to do it and have even allowed us to use their tools on the few occasions when we didn't have our own. We like having the option of trying to save money but knowing they will bail us out if we need it.

I guess my point of all that is to say that I'd miss the interaction with other boaters if we weren't renting a slip.

We don't sail every weekend but this season we came close.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Last edited by DRFerron; 10-10-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook