SailNet Community - View Single Post - need advice on a boat
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I've never seen a Nautilus before - but I think you've found a pretty cool boat which seems well equipped and nicely designed for how you want to use it. Proabably no rocketship, but for a marina liveaboard, I'd say very special and very presentable. Everything reads to be quality equipment and well done, The electrical system is extra heavy duty, and well beyond most boats of this size. This boat is to production builders like Beneteau and Catalina like a Jaguar is to a Ford Taurus.

Once you develop some comfort in handing her, I think this boat is well equipped for short-handed or singlehanded sailing. Jib and main both furl, doesn't get easier. Getting back into a slip takes careful planning, and can be helped by midships cleats. The one sailing reservation is the 44 ST primaries are seriously under-sized for this application. My 36 has 46 STs and we'd like to have 48s.

As always don't make any decisions without both a survey from a first rate surveyor and an engine evaluation from a mechanic. I'd name her Ocean Gem.

Last edited by sailingfool; 08-29-2006 at 10:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook