SailNet Community - View Single Post - Big Freakin' Sails
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Have fun Smacky!

Hey, I think I finally won my BFS cred! First was our downflooding incident in Sept. (Lesson learned: know where ALL hull penetrations are in your boat, not just seacocks. And note that some which are above water at the dock, may be below water underway or when heeling.) Then, quite possibly the worst conditions I've been in ever; and certainly the worst conditions I've been in on our own boat, were on Day 2 of our trip, right at the mouth of the Potomac. Winds predicted to be 10-15 on a broad reach were 25 and gusting higher forward of the beam in a squall, and the very confused seas where river emptied into Bay. (Lessons learned: NOAA doesn't always know-a! Plan your passage for winds 5 knots stronger, 45 degrees to the head, and for weather to arrive 12 hours sooner, than predicted. Second lesson: no matter how tempting it might be to run gently downwind on genoa only, we would have done far better with a balanced set of smaller sails. As it was, when the squall hit, we couldn't steer, the headsail + waves were throwing the bow around, and all we could do was make for the far shore, not necessarily make for the direction we wanted to go. We know better!) No pix, sorry, we were much too busy hanging on!

Currently in Morehead City, NC, about 1/3 of the way to our warm winter hangout.

Nicely done WnW!!! You guys made it through safe and sound and brought back good lessons learned. That's what it's all about.

I kind of had the same experience this past weekend helming a Pearson 365 ketch in 20-25 winds. We had a double-reefed main and full 140 jib flying (practicing for a race) - and although we were screaming along at 8 knots, I would have liked to experiment with a bit less jib and more main. I'll do that next time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook