SailNet Community - View Single Post - I had a great sail today.
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I just covered Golfito, Costa Rica to Panama City Panama in 74 hours. First 2/3 was a lot of motor sailing , motoring, with a wee bit of good 6-8 knot sailing for short periods. Then I approached Punta Mala of Panama. Just reading the name tells you something. I was doing 7.8 knots under headsail alone. After rounding the Punta I took one of my 15 minute naps, single-handing. I woke to a great sensation of strength. The stregnth of the boat, and of the wind. I slowly came too, and stepped inside to see 11.+ knots on the GPS.

I looked back out over the sterns, and it was whitecapping like mad, and rollers coming at me. The boat felt like she was on rails, and doing what she was made for. Unfortunatey I have had recent damage to my clew. So I started rolling up the head sail a wee bit at a time. Finally it was rolled in, and I was still doing 6-7 knots. She started swinging her hips a wee bit to port then strbrd, and back again. I rolled out maybe six foot of the headsail, and she picked up a wee bit of speed, but steadied herself.

It's good to be back on the boat again, and doing it single-handed makes it all the sweeter. Sunday night I dropped the hook off of Las Brisas near Panama City, and slept like a rock!.........i2f
Okay - this is what it's all about! You made me smile i2. Wow.

You lucky bastard!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook