SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina Keel bolts
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2006

Zevirii is on a distinguished road
Catalina Keel bolts

I have read several articals on keelbolts, and read several posts on it aswell. So this is not just a fast keel bolt question without looking for answers first.

I just bought a 1982 Catalina 25. I am not sure, haven't been able to find out if this is a Iron keel or a lead keel and are the bolts stainless or mild steel. I am thinking the bolts are steel as they are not epoxied over have a bit of rust/corosion on them.

I also looks as 1 of the bolts has been replaced(drilled out and a screw type bolt put in its place). For this reason I am almost positive that these bolts are original. Now I have heard that the fix for this is to "sister" in some lag bolts and leave the originals in aswell. This seems like a quick fix and not the right one. Also if I understand right, catalina's bolts are in the keel when it was formed so if not doing the "sister" fix, then keel replacement is the only other option? And if I was going this route(replacing keel), how much do they run?

Thing is I have a 2yr old and a 5 month old(youngest stays with sitter currently), and I am affraid to take them out sometimes due to thoughts of the keel falling off and boat capsizing traping my kid(s).

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook