SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina Keel bolts
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 08-30-2006 Thread Starter
Zevirii

Catalina Keel bolts

I have read several articals on keelbolts, and read several posts on it aswell. So this is not just a fast keel bolt question without looking for answers first.

I just bought a 1982 Catalina 25. I am not sure, haven't been able to find out if this is a Iron keel or a lead keel and are the bolts stainless or mild steel. I am thinking the bolts are steel as they are not epoxied over have a bit of rust/corosion on them.

I also looks as 1 of the bolts has been replaced(drilled out and a screw type bolt put in its place). For this reason I am almost positive that these bolts are original. Now I have heard that the fix for this is to "sister" in some lag bolts and leave the originals in aswell. This seems like a quick fix and not the right one. Also if I understand right, catalina's bolts are in the keel when it was formed so if not doing the "sister" fix, then keel replacement is the only other option? And if I was going this route(replacing keel), how much do they run?

Thing is I have a 2yr old and a 5 month old(youngest stays with sitter currently), and I am affraid to take them out sometimes due to thoughts of the keel falling off and boat capsizing traping my kid(s).

Thanks for any help.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome