SailNet Community - View Single Post - Big Freakin' Sails
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011

KnottyGurl is on a distinguished road
The day I went to sea trial my current boat the wind was in the low 20's and the fella I was buying from never sailed in this weather. So I went alone and tested her out, while out the wind was still on the rise so I was able to also test out the roller furl boom (which did not work due to lazy Jacks) and managed a sail change in 6+ foot rollers from the 135 to the working jib.
Soon the wind was really howling and I made my way in on just the working jib and doused main. Come to find out wind was gusting upwards of 50 mph and still rising. Travel lift got my new to me boat out and placed back to cradle. deal was completed, I figured I got her out there and she brought me back in one piece so the match was made..

Later that night 4 boats fell off cradles and winds hit near 90 mph, late May 2011 in Port Dover.
3 days later I was bringing her home, a 9 day rain filled sail from Lake Erie (Port Dover) to East side (Picton) Lake Ontario.
It was filled with lots of wind, more rain and cold water, and being on the great lakes on the 01 June made me pretty much the only boat out there. Coast guard Axillary crews were still on the hard in lake Ontario.
BFS all the way and both boat and myself enjoyed the ride.
I am a firm believer now that the Grampian 26 is a great lake bluewater boat made for heavy weather.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook