SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lockley Sea Witch Repairs
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011

h1derly is on a distinguished road
Lockley Sea Witch repairs

I recently purchased a 12' Lockley Sea Witch for my scouting kids. $270 with trailer can't go wrong. Very sailable but that outer plastic skin has many cracks and dimples. Some cracks wrap from gunwales down toward keel. These certainly let in water to the foam but won't let it sink. The worst issue is cracking of the inner/top surface around the dagger board. It is split down to the footwell and allows water to seep in rather quickly.

I am in the process of repairing that and the entire hull in my own method. I am routing-out all the cracks and cracked dimples far and wide enough to allow filling with Bondo-Hair fiberglass filler. I have completed some of the filling. Plently more to route-out and fill. Then I will sand them all down to as close to flush as possible. Sand entire hull, and paint top and bottom with a gloss spray paint made for adhesion to plastic.

Keep in mind I have no fiberglass repair experience (or plastic) but it appears this will stabilize any of the current hull cracks and keep more water from infiltrating into the foam.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook