SailNet Community - View Single Post - San Francisco/Alameda Yacht Clubs
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris King View Post
I have always wondered how you go about joining a yacht club. I thought a fair bit about joining Richmond. I keep my boat next door at Brickyard Cove. The membership application documents say you have to have several current members sponsor you. I don't know any current members. Am I out of luck?
Chris--

If you are located in Brickyard Cove, then I suggest you walk over to the Club, stop by the office and tell Antonia or Judy you have an interest and I'm sure they can/will be happy to introduce you to some of the members and get you connected to the head of the membership committee. The letters of recommendation are required to ensure that the folks that want to join the Club have the same goals and objectives as the members and will fit in and become a part of the community (and particularly so because the number of memberships are limited). The "exclusivity" of the Club is/has nothing to do with social status or anything of that nature but is intended to ensure that there is common ground among the members and, as RYC is a working club--i.e. the members perform most of the work needed to operate and maintain the club on a volunteer basis--that everyone is prepared to lend a hand.

While you are at the Club, look across the channel to the east of the small boat yard and you will see a house somewhat like a Pyramid. We lived there for awhile in the late '70's when I had an office in Pt. Richmond, and used to keep a sailing dinghy on the float behind the house. I spent many enjoyable hours after work sailing that dinghy around the basin.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook