SailNet Community - View Single Post - Philadelphia Area Sailing for a Novice on a 25' SK
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
I've already given Jim some advice on another forum here and here, so I'm not going to repeat that here. You can look for yourself if you're curious what I said. But I have a couple of additional comments based in things posted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
...I'm already planning to visit Winter's, and I want to visit Corinthian and Delaware River Yacht Clubs...
You should also visit West End in Essington (I'm a member and would be glad to meet you there to get you in) and Anchor in Bristol (Denise is a member and I'm sure she'd host you there too).

Please let me know what you think of Corinthian. They're 100% sailing (good!), and real big into racing (also good!). But, they seemed more oriented toward finding "rail meat" for their J24 fleets that already have assigned skippers. And they were a bit "standoffish" about membership (emphasizing how many months it would take for me to become a member). Their dues were 10x the dues at West End. I felt like the dues were subsidizing their fleet and their gorgeous, huge, but very high-maintenance clubhouse. YMMV - I may have just talked to the wrong person.

West End also has a very nice marina that will become viable for sailboats once our $500,000 dredging project is complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Why not Nockamixon State Park? ... about 20 minutes from Lansdale? 10X the size of Lake Galena. ....Delaware River is a PITA because of the current flow and it 'narrowness'..
I think it's misleading to knock Delaware River because it's too narrow, and then suggest Nockamixon. Nockamixon is about 1000 ft wide at its widest point. It's larger than Galena, but nowhere near 10x the size. I took my Phantom there once and felt it was too narrow in that boat. I'd never consider a 25 footer there. Maybe, if I lived 10 minutes away from there, I'd think differently.

You'll see some of my other suggested locations in my linked threads above.

As I said there, there is no one correct answer to the best place to sail. Everyone has a different balance between quality of the environment vs. distance to travel. For some of us, that balance tips the scales in favor of the closest waters, despite the compromises that requires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 10-14-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook