SailNet Community - View Single Post - need advice on modifying my storm jib..
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011

groundhog is on a distinguished road
need advice on modifying my storm jib..

Hi,
I am a beginner stage sailor and I have essentially no storm experience.
Trying to outfit the boat so I can do this type of sailing safely...

I went to a harken roller furler a few years ago.

Was thinking of picking up the ATN gale sail as a storm sail...

Then I remembered I have a hank on 30% storm sail that came with the boat.
I can get that converted to luff rope.

So I go to the sailmaker in annapolis... he tells me he has been setting up boats with the storm sail in a ready bag. Instead of a luff tape or whatever that goes into the furler foil, he uses the new high tech low stretch line and puts that on the storm sail.

If you are sailing in sunshine..... then 60 seconds later and you are in a rainy hurricaine.... you just furl up your 150 headsail and hoist the stormsail that is already attached to your second jib halyard. The high tech line becomes the pseudo forestay. You crank down really hard on the halyard #2 there you are.

You never left the cockpit.

............. But thats not the part I need the advice on.............

Went to the annapolis sailboat show.
Started thinkin......
what if I installed the anti-twist or anti-torque line instead of standard low stretch line? Then I could go with one of those new fancy code-zero furlers that you just snap on!!!!!

....... then i started thinkin again.......

-If the storm jib is your final sail up, why would you wish to have it a furler?

-Is there any reason that you would wish to furl your storm jib after it is hoisted?

If you have a normal twin groove drum style furler, you can put on progressively smaller head sails before the weather gets really really bad. Will it still be safe/comfortable to go forward to progressively take down the 150% to hoist the %100%. Go forward to take down the 100% to put up the 60%?

Is there any reason at all to have small code-zero furler equipment?

Maybe the original idea is the best and saves me money on not specifiying the anti-twist line?

THANKS FOR HELPING!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook