SailNet Community - View Single Post - Philadelphia Area Sailing for a Novice on a 25' SK
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011

Bermudahigh is on a distinguished road
Ocean City NJ sailing/lifestyle

Moved back here in 72, after spending summers here, life in the military, europe, colorado and florida. Sailing here since 72. I sail mostly solo, as i'm never certain when the sailing time slot will open. rather than wait for crew, i jump on board and head out.
I'm a bayrat when i'm limited on time or the conditions warrant staying out of the ocean. its a 5 minute run to the inlet and the old bascule bridge was replaced allowing me a straight shot to the sea. probably 70-30 favoring the ocean. in my current boat, its almost always ocean. Here's a vid from a pre Irene sail:
stiletto 23 single handed - YouTube

When I returned to the island in 72, it was because i was happiest here. safe place to raise a family, always in mother nature's lap, everywhere you looked. i try to start the day with a sunrise from the beach and finish with sunset on the bay. I enjoy my sailing time and cut it short this season, as I hauled early due to Hurricane Irene. I've put the Stiletto up for sale and will find a replacement that will allow some overnights at sea.

re the noreaster marina, a friend has a 30' slip that she rents.

lots of choices. pick what's most important and go for it.
safe sailing.
joe

Joe, how long have you been in Ocean City? Do you like sailing there? Do you mostly sail the bay or the ocean? The guys at the marina in Barnegat Bay are trying to convince us to stay up there, because of the huge size of the bay compared to Ocean City, which would mean more "space" to cut our teeth. But, if we keep her at the shore, Barnegat Bay is the least convenient of the places for us, and I'm afraid that will translate into even less use. We considered renting a slip from someone somewhere between OC and Stone Harbor, but with a family, we have to be mindful of access to a potty. It's true, we COULD use the portapotty that's onboard, but I'm not too keen on the idea of cleaning it! I'd rather have a bathroom that we can all use before heading out, and keep the portapotty for emergencies while we're away from the slip. I'll have to look into the marinas you mentioned. The one on Pleasure could be interesting. My brother-in-law is part owner in a house a few blocks south of there, and it would make meeting up with him and his kids pretty convenient.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wrP1010123.jpg (60.3 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Bermudahigh; 10-17-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: remove sale link
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook