SailNet Community - View Single Post - Philadelphia Area Sailing for a Novice on a 25' SK
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I lived in OC,NJ for over 18 years and as my friend Joe says you can't find a better town for the beach or raise a family. My daughter went to her whole school life there and gym class was on the beach or with the surf team. Nice family town and atmosphere. OC is great for a hobie cat or small boat, but not where I would keep yours. We had a hobie on the beach in front of our house, but kept our keelboat at where you first mentioned, Dillons Creek marina on Barnegat Bay. We also did one year at Great Bay in Tucherton, but the bugs, power boaters, and scenery left much to be desired.

Barnegat Bay is great for learning. Predictable ocean breeze at 12 every day with no wave action. Expansive N to S run of 15 miles or 3 hours. Places tvo anchor ( Tices shoal, Forked River Toms River and even Barnegat Light behind the lighthouse. very few bugs. Your family would like it as beaches are close as is boardwalk on the island as are stores. Nice marina also. We kept our first keelboat there for 8 years before we got bored e. Very little motoring
Ocean city. Great town no sailing room in the Bay. Huge number of powerboats. Tricky inlet and can be rough in a small keelboat with outgoing tide and onshore breeze every afternoon. Great ocean sailing, but not where I would learn or introduce the family. Lots to do also

Cape may great place easy inlet great town. Traffic nightmares . Delewre Bay, no way. Steel choppy waves. Rough ride. Huge amount of Mosquitos and green heads, fish traps. Good for experienced sailor, but can be extremely crough. We all joke about the famous square Delawae waves every 4 seconds stopping your boat dead in the water

Upper Delaware s nice scenic, but there are days the current tides prevent you. From going anywhere. Not many an heaves either.

Chesapeake. The best. Why I moved here. Too far to learn though

Go t o Barnegat Bay. Best place to learn. Family will like it. No traffic going north on Parkway on weekends. Nice anchorages and scenery, good marina. Friendly Sao layers ( don't minimize the co rackets of keeping your boat with other Sao boaters in the beginning years in terms of learning from others, help and esprit decor and meeting other sailing families. You want your first years and your wife a families introduction to sailing to be a positive experience. Then you will get the big boat bug like most of us later with a partner.

PM me if you want more info on Barnegt, Ocean City or even Chessie and Delaware Bay

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook