SailNet Community - View Single Post - Philadelphia Area Sailing for a Novice on a 25' SK
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone! It's disappointing - that stretch of the Delaware Bay looked ideal! Maybe in a few years and in a bigger boat. []

Joe, that looks like a lot of fun. I'm hearing impaired and wear hearing aids, so I have an inherent dislike for catamarans and their propensity to topple, but your video made the idea of a ride like that very appealing. Good luck with your sale, and let us know what you decide to sail!

Dave (chef2sail), I agree that Great Egg Harbor is small. I'm just wondering if I can "suck it up" and make the most of my time there, in exchange for getting more and easier access to the boat (given our "base(s) of operations"). Your point about northbound traffic on the GSP is interesting. Maybe finding a spot near Barnegat would work (some place like Mariner's Marina. That would put us at the Southern end of Barnegat Bay. That would shave some time off of a trip from/to Avalon, and get us closer to route 73 so we'd have an "alternative" route. Although, realistically, the move down to Barnegat only saves us about 15 minutes.

Another idea was to join a Delaware River yach club with the intention of wintering her there, and doing some early/late season sailing there. Then if the weather permits (or if I can find a trailer), moving her to the Jersey Shore for a few months during the summer.

We toyed with the idea of Nockamixon, but it's as far/farther than the Delaware, and I think the Delaware offers more opportunities to sail, explore, and learn. Plus, as I mentioned above, we don't have a trailer, so sailing her to there is gonna be tough! []
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook