SailNet Community - View Single Post - leaky hatch, project?
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by flo617 View Post
Thank you for your advives. So today I manage to remove the teak trim without tearing it appart. Behind it I found... a big nothing!

There is just the wood and a 3 to 5mm gap to the deck. The wooden box is two frames (inner and outer) glued and/or screwed so I guess it is the outer part that is attached to the deck. How exactly I`m not sure as there is no visible screw neither on top nor on the bottom.
Hmmmm. Do you have a molded fiberglass liner as an overhead? If so, the hatch may have been mounted prior to the deck being attached to the hull, in which case the heads of the fasteners will be between the liner and the deck. I have a number of things fastened that way on my Columbia.

There have to be fasteners holding the hatch assembly to the deck, it's just a matter of finding them. Does it look like any holes have been filled in the area under the trim you removed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook