SailNet Community - View Single Post - Removing a panel to make a sail smaller?
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011
Relapsing

ArcherBowman is on a distinguished road
You could try, but you might find out that it's an expensive sewing lesson. The problem is, although it folds flat, a sail is a three dimensional object with a specific curve for it's height and width. As as novice, you are unlikely to be able to achieve an efficient shape doing so.

I recommend selling it, and buying a sail made to fit. But that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearcan View Post
Hello Everyone,

So i recently picked up a Hobie Holder 14 but the sails that were sold with the boat are incorrect. The jib is a roller furler with a luff wire that i can use as my forestay so that is not the issue. The issue is with the main. The sail looks brand new, but it is probably about 3 or 4 feet too long.

Question is, could i remove a panel from middle or bottom and restitch everything back together to accommodate the difference.

The sails are from a Trac 14 Catamaran.

Thanks,

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of sailing is? Love. You take a boat in to sea that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her afloat when she oughtta founder... tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens… makes her a home." Captain Malcom Reynolds, Paraphrased
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook