SailNet Community - View Single Post - My wife wouldn't step foot on my boat but now....
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Smile My wife wouldn't step foot on my boat but now....

Things are different. This last weekend, I put her at the helm and took my time helping her get used to the fact that ya push left to turn right etc. We then did some MOB drills which, by the way, where a blast and the stated reason for her driving. By the end of the day she was gybing by herself with no help from me while I was the galley slave making some lunch. When the wind picked up and we started upwind (where this boat likes to fly) she handed the helm back, not quite ready to run the boat on the ragged edge with 20* of heel. Now she can't wait to get back out there and go sailing. The thing I've found about teaching the wife something is to keep it light and conversational, don't stress or holler when she forgets to come on course when gybing or tacking 'cause she's still adjusting the sails, just get a good laugh going over it. Matter of fact, while I was in the cabin, she called out saying another sailboat had turned parallel to us when she did and she wasn't sure who had the right of way. I popped my head out, looked at the boat to Leeward and told her they did. When she asked what to do I just told her to duck behind them and come back up on the other side. That she did just fine, while I went back into the cabin. Who else has taught or attempted to teach their SO how to drive and sail their boat?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook