SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Lofrans Tigres Install, Wirless remote
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivertest View Post
I am currently thinking about the installation of a Lofrans Tigress windlass and wireless remote switching unit (Not Lofrans)

My intention is not to use any foot or rocker switches and understand the drawbacks and limitations. If it does cause problems then they will be relatively easy to add at a later date.
The intention is to have the windlass solenoid and wireless unit mounted in a box inside the forward cabin within a meter or so of the windlass.

With reference to the schematic here

http://www.seatechmarineproducts.com...ng_Diagram.jpg

I need to provide the remote unit with a pos and neg supply. What would be the 'best practice' for doing this.
Run a 2 core from the distribution board at the nav area via a spare switch, or is there a more convenient way to do it?

I am pulling through 2 thumping great cables anyway so one more wouldn’t matter.

I did think about taking the pos feed from the solenoid pos battery connection and fusing it. This would conveniently switch on the unit when the main breaker was closed. But somehow that didn't seem right and obviously that still left the negative to obtain.

Any guidance much appreciated

Si
You might find the following thread helpful: Windlass Installation

When I installed our windlass I did not install deck mounted switches due to their high failure rate. I have a wired hand-held controller that plugs into a fitting near the windlass but also a "Quick" wireless controller that allows use to deploy and recover the anchor from anywhere on the yacht.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook