SailNet Community - View Single Post - Now that I killed the 3gm30
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
What did you do about the surface of the cylinders themselves? Did you hone themm to get rid of any glaze?........i2f
Yes. The reason for the re-ring was cylinder glaze and frozen rings. The engine, with only 70 hours on it from the previous owner, sat for 6 years and the rings had never really seated. The Yanmar tech guys thought the long sit in one position probably caused the problem. I carefully protected any grinding debris from falling onto the crank and used a 3 stone hone to break the glaze and cross-hatch. It did a really nice job. Of course w/ only 70 hours there was NO ridge. Yanmar recommends a ball hone but I have always used a stone hone and like them better. I was able to use a large mirror in the bilge to see the lower end to loosen and later re-torque the rod journals. Ran her all this last summer with no excessive oil use or any exhaust smoke. Before this she was burning a quart in an eight hour run!