SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bavaria 44
Thread: Bavaria 44
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I certainly don't want to rain on your parade but due to a bunch of stuff I read, along with photos, a couple of years back I'd want to carefully check the keel mounting details on any Bavaria.

They built a fleet of production style high performance boats - 38' to 40' IIRC - for a charter outfit in the Adriatic. They were intended for charter regatta racing. The keels fell off, actually ripped off along with some of the hull on all or most of them due to the ridiculously light mounting system.

Bavaria had not put proper backing plates on the keel studs - little more than small square washers. The hulls were very lightly built for performance and the combination of no stress distribution and light hull scantlings meant the keels could be wiggled by hand when the boats were in the slings. In use, this wiggling and flexing resulted in the keels tearing the "backing plates" right through the bottom of the boats.

Needless to say, sinkings and lawsuits resulted.

This sort of situation is certainly not unique to Bavaria - it has become almost commonplace in recent years but it is something to closely check before spending a few years pay.

This is the case of unsubstantiated and not true statements that can get you a lawsuit, not to Bavaria but to you

ONE Bavaria keel feel off and it was proven that the boat had been grounded before. Several stress evidence were found in several other Bavarias keels, all on the same model (Match 42) and the boats were repaired under warranty with reinforcements on that area.

The Bavaria Match belonged to a Bavaria line of performance cruiser racers, very light and fast boats. That line was discontinued after that accident and Bavaria today only makes the old line of cruises boats, heavier than all competition and they say, stronger.

Many Bavarias have circumnavigated and a Portuguese have circumnavigated twice with the same boat, a Bavaria 36.

Recently I have posted about a Bavaria that had not only circumnavigated but had made it trough the Northwest passage, and that means hitting ice with the boat (the passage was almost closed and barely navigable). The Bavaria has kevlar on the hull on the places that are more subjected to hitting submerged objects and that may have helped.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-21-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook