SailNet Community - View Single Post - AIS is very Cool
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
...However, you wouldn't believe the number of folks I see these days on the water who haven't a clue....they believe that the AIS display indeed shows them all the dangers and/or they are mesmerized by the specifics of each return....to the point where they're not paying attention to what's ahead of and around them...
Can you cite specific examples? I agree that this might be a THEORETICAL possibility, in actuality interfacing AIS with a chartplotter, and debugging the glitches when they occur, is not simple. It takes some skill to make it work right, and the process of debugging it reminds the user not to become overly reliant in it.

You seem to paint a picture of a large number of naive users who are fooled into complacency by the technology. I think the technology is complicated enough that its users have to be pretty savvy about its limitations just to get it working.

So educate me. Tell me about the specific examples of people that you have actually seen being mesmerized by AIS to the point that they are distracted by it. Frankly, I usually can't see that well into others' cockpits to tell what they're looking at, and even if I could, I can't read their minds to tell what they're paying attention to. So I wonder how you're able to do that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook