SailNet Community - View Single Post - better sailing dinghy to learn to sail?
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
O'day Day Sailer

I have an O'day Day Sailer. I would not recommend it for single hand sailing as the jib sheets are too far from tiller. I have to let go of the tiller to work the jib sleets. It will carry 640 pounds of crew. It is possible to step the mast by yourself, but you have to attach a 3 foot long line to the jib halyard where it normally attaches to the sail The other end of the 3 foot line attaches to the stemhead which is just aft of the hole where you attach the forestay which normally holds the mast in position along with the two sidestays. You then walk the mast up and when it is nearly up, pull on the jib halyard and then cleat it off so you can go to the front of the boat to attach the mast forestay. As with sailing this boat, itís a lot easier for two people where one walks the mast up and another person attaches the forestay while you hold the mast up. I also have owned a Flying Junior (also known as the FJ) and think it a better boat for one person to sail. The FJ is also large enough for two and it is easier to step the mast.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook