SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a sailboat
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2006

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Part A, If you are buying a boat in Croatia, buy an Elan. Much better quality than those two and Elans are made right there.

Part B, Beneteau has made a lot of different models in number of different lines. My sense is that Beneteau's lowest quality line is about on a par with the Bavaria's that I have seen. Beneteaus higher quality lines seem to be much better built and designed than Bavarias.

Part C, Unless you are very experienced and have a specific near custom idea of what you want, buy used. The depreciation gives you plenty to work with if you need to make small changes. Also if the boat has defects they should show up in a survey by the time the boat is put on the market. If you bought that boat new, the problems are yours to fix or discount for, as a buyer you can walk or beat up the seller.

Part D: The right 36 footer can reasonably easily cross the Atlantic but neither Beneteau or Bavaria builds boats that would be a good choice for that purpose. They may be able to make the crossing but they would not be good choices.

Part E: Ownership costs are a mixture with some costs being displacement driven (bottom painting, sail replacement, fuel costs, engine replacement and so on) and some are length dependent (including apurtenances such as bowsprits and davits) (i.e. dockage, hauling, and storage). I would suggest that you size the boat by the displacement (2 1/2 to 6 long tons per person) that you feel you need and then, within reason, buy the longest waterline length boat with that displacement that you can afford.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook